1. Better late than never.
2. This week on Facebook, I shared Lucia’s sweet idea of how to rouse Mommy out of deep slumber: crawl into bed; stick something small, soft and lint-like in between my fingers, and squeal, “Whassat??” Answer: dead spider. AUUGGHHHHHHH I still shudder thinking about it. However, I left out of my Facebook status one last, horrifying detail: she picked up the spider after she’d been tumbling around the sheets and poking at Felix’s bedside bassinette for a few seconds. So that either means that for at least one night I’d been cuddling up with my fuzzy little bedfellow Mr. Spider, or that the spider had been crawling around my sleeping newborn, checked him out, then curled up and died. Either way. AUGHHHHHHH. However, Jen’s 7 Quick Takes yesterday reminded me that, believe it or not, it could be worse.
3. I swore to myself I wouldn’t go all mommy blogger if I started updating this thing regularly again, but when your almost-two-year-old exclaims, “Jesus!” in the frozen food aisle while pointing to a middle-aged man in a stained white t-shirt and jean shorts with a greasy, gray ponytail halfway down his back; excitedly says, “Mama, LAWNMOWER!” when a motorized wheelchair whirrs around us; and, in the baking aisle, tenderly clutches the bag of brown sugar to her chest that I’d just given her, begins patting it rhythmically and explains, “Burping sugar” — all in one shopping trip — well, I just gotta share.
4. And in the “Elizabeth is desperately trying to make her own, private mark in the gourmet homecook” category, I’ve been scheming to create a recipe for green chile-cheese tamale casserole/pie. The goal is to recreate the oozy, comforting goodness that I sampled earlier this year from a food cart in Santa Fe’s Old Town plaza — minus the fussiness of rolling and steaming the tamales in cornhusks. I’ll probably throw in some ground meat, seasoned with cumin, chili powder and whatnot (shredded pork would be ideal but um…if I’m too lazy for real tamales, that’s not happening either) to make it a more substantial meal. So if I can find some masa harina this weekend, that will be my gratuitous, it’s Labor-Day-so-I-can-experiment-with-something-other-than-a-one-pot-meal cooking indulgence.
5. Speaking of recipes, I found a great one for creamy cilantro-lime dressing yesterday. Here’s the link — the only change I made was to sub about 1/2 the sour cream for Greek-style yogurt, and I probably left out about 1/2 the olive oil.
6. We’ve been wavering back and forth for a few months about moving from our current rental. On one hand, it’d be nice to have a third bedroom for guests, a pantry, and more than one cupboard for pots and pans. On the other hand, we can’t really complain about the rent, Luke has a great commute, and Lucia has a porch and huge grassy area to run around in outside. This week, though, she and her BFFs, aged 3, 4 and 7, decided it’d be great fun to march around said grassy area during dinner time (which is surrounded by our condo’s building plus two others), while waving a blanket in the air and chanting at the top of their lungs, “JESUS! JESUS! JESUS!” (When pressed as to why, they shrugged).
I think we’re moving 😉
7. I’m on a ’90s teen comedy kick. This week Luke and I watched “Clueless” and “10 Things I Hate About You.” (A welcome break from all four Alien movies we watched earlier this month). What should I add next to our queue?
And that’s seven! My goal is to get at least two posts up a week. We’re getting there 🙂
Check out Conversion Diary for more 7 Quick Takes!